Silicon Valley Lotus Specialists
Suspension Performance is the premier independent Lotus service and upgrade shop in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We have over 200 customers who drive a Lotus Elise, Exige or 2Eleven.
We are a full-service shop, offering maintenance, performance upgrades, and crash repair of your Lotus. We do more than suspension!
About Eric Gauthier
Eric Gauthier, owner of Suspension Performance and its partner company, SP Motorsports, worked for Lotus Team in the early 1990s. He was a key member of the design team for active suspension, a ground-breaking innovation in F1 cars.
Eric later worked at Lotus Engineering, where he designed the front suspension of the Series 1 Elise.
With Suspension Performance, you have a rare opportunity to have your car prepped and maintained by someone who:
- understands suspension theory
- Master’s degree in suspension engineering from Grenoble Institute of Technology (“the MIT of France”)
- understands racing
- Ten years professional motorcycle racing experience
- French Enduro champion
- Two Paris-Dakkar finishes
- understands and practices the art of design
- Three years at Lotus factory & F1 team
- Consultant to global manufacturers on suspension and brake designs
We are a family business
Eric’s wife, Jeannine, handles all the marketing, accounting, and computer geek tasks for Suspension Performance.
Jeannine is a semi-retired software engineer, who now advises software startup companies.
Jeannine owns a lightly modified Lotus Elise. As you can see in this photo, her competitive side sometimes surfaces, and she has been known to chase Eric around the track, working to reduce the 15-second time difference between her best lap time and his.
Our personal car collection includes:
- Jeannine’s 2005 Elise road car
- Eric’s 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C – the heir apparent to the Elise
- 2008 Ford F450 truck, for hauling our 48′ trailer
- 2006 Range Rover HSE, Eric’s daily driver
- 2006 Mini Cooper S Works, Jeannine’s daily driver
- 2014 Smart ForTwo Electric (variety is good!)
- 1959 dune buggy project, nearly complete
Eric is rumored to own 20+ motorcycles, but no one is quite sure since they are never all in one place at one time. His traditional favorite for off-road riding is his custom full-size 85cc TM enduro bike, and his favorite for twisty roads is an MV Agusta Brutale 800. Eric recently took delivery of the very first production Redshift, an electric motocross bike from Alta Motors.